The internet protests SOPA / PIPA
For those who don’t know, a number of major websites will be going offline tomorrow to protest SOPA and PIPA, including wordpress, reddit, Wikipedia and the cheezeburger sites. Tomorrow may be the most productive day ever on the modern internet. Google will also be linking to information about SOPA tomorrow.
I had some people ask me about the bills today and have been looking for explanations of the issues and why these laws are so problematic.
- Reddit has a good explanation for the non technical folks.
- Wikipedia has a number of good pages including: SOPA Initative, SOPA
- Infojustice has a copy of the letter sent to Congress by Vint Cerf and other DNS experts
- MAAWG published a technical analysis of the problems for ISPs
- Securityskeptic has a list of statements about SOPA
Over the years I’ve seen “the Internet” get upset about a lot of things. The idea of an Internet blackout has been tried again and again. This is one of the few efforts that has gotten major sites on board and may have an impact.