AOL delivery problems

There have been ongoing reports this week from ESPs and ISPs that AOL is having problems accepting email. People are reporting difficulties connecting to AOL MTAs and random dropping of connections. Other people are reporting random rejection messages that make no sense. A number of folks are seeing rejections claiming that the reason is a new IP when that IP has successfully sent mail from that IP in the recent past.

AOL seems to be working on things, and some people are seeing improvements. If you’re seeing AOL problems recently, it’s not you. It’s them.

EDIT: AOL has asked senders to please reduce mail volume while they are resolving issues.

1. Andrew Edelstein says

I was disturbed to see mail for AOL and queueing up on my bulk mail servers this morning, with the exact message you describe (new or not recently used IPs with no “reputation”). It was sudden, and AOL’s postmaster site for checking your IP reputation still showed all my IPs as “green”.
    Before I had time to dig into it much futher, I noticed my queues had drained.

2. Huey says

I am stunned to learn that there’s anyone left at AOL to comment.

3. Matt S says

Was there ever an updated status?

I’ve not heard anything positive or negative about the current status. My best advice is to increase volumes and see what happens.

4. Udeme says

Doesn’t look like there’s any…

5. B Becker says

All our IP’s are green reputation. We have 10 IP’s and have intermittent issues with all of them, seems to be getting worse today. One IP is not really getting any mail accepted. One IP is getting almost all accepted. The others were getting 98% in earlier, now I think may be 80% in with another IP may be at 50%. So, we are not seeing the situation improve. We work with Return Path, they say their clients also report issues, but no answers. Anyone else with updates?

6. Kris says

I’ve seen an improvement since intitially reported, but still seeing a higher-than-normal number of “service unavailable” messages.

7. steven s says

I have been having problems with AOL for three months and lately I am getting messages that the server is not working or connected. How long can it really take for a company of this magnitude to figure out what the problems are. I am questioning if AOL is trying to get people to pay for service ????? Nothing ads up !!!

• Lost in the mists of time

Over on the Farsight Security blog Joe St. Sauver talks about some of the early days of online abuse, on usenet. Laura and I were on the periphery of early usenet abuse, mostly as users, but Usenet (and IRC) around then were the places we both started with email abuse.No Comments

• Ongoing Yahoo delays

I've been hearing from folks over the last few days that they're seeing an uptick in deferrals from Yahoo! The deferrals are not uniform. ESPs report they're seeing some, but not all, customers affected. Other ESPs aren't seeing any changes. It's not just you. But it would be very worthwhile to dig into engagement and other stats. It's possible this is a new normal at Yahoo! and they're tightening filters to catch mail that doesn't fit their standards but was previously difficult to filter.No Comments

• AOL starts using Sender Score Certification

Good news for Sender Score Certified IPs. Return Path recently announced that AOL has joined the list of ISPs offering preferential treatment to certified IPs.  1 Comment