Sending mail to the wrong person, part eleventy

Another person has written another blog post talking about their experiences with an email address a lot of people add to mailing lists without actually owning the email address. In this case the address isn’t a person’s name, but is rather just what happens when you type across rows on they keyboard.

These are similar suggestions to those I (and others) have made in the past. It all boils down to allow people who never signed up for your list, even if someone gave you their email address, to tell you ‘This isn’t me.” A simple link in the mail, and a process to stop all mail to that address (and confirm it is true if someone tries to give it to you again), will stop a lot of unwanted and unasked for email.

1. Tom Chiverton says

LIkewise, I feel sorry for this guy http://bar.com/ :-)

2. Al Iverson says

Wow, that would make a hell of a spamtrap address.

Google is currently handling mail for none@none.com. I’m kinda wondering which blocklist that’s feeding.

I did meet the guy who owned nobody.com. I mentioned using it as a trap and he rolled his eyes at me and told me that he’d had to turn off the MX because the incoming traffic levels were so high. We talked about the volumes, and at that time it would have been fairly expensive to buy hardware to handle that volume of mail.

4. Dave Nelson says

Requiring a login to unsubscribe via the preferences portal is one of my great pet peeves. I’ve seen plenty of big companies do it and it just shows how short-sighted people can be when it comes to maintaining a healthy list.

It’s also a CAN SPAM violation these days.

5. Tom Chiverton says

You should ask the nobody.com guy to donate an MX to Project Honey pot http://www.projecthoneypot.org/faq.php#d :-)

Comment:

• ReturnPath on DMARC+Yahoo

Over at ReturnPath Christine has an excellent non-technical summary of the DMARC+Yahoo situation, along with some solid recommendations for what actions you might take to avoid the operational problems it can cause.No Comments

• AOL problems

Lots of people are reporting ongoing (RTR:GE) messages from AOL today.  This indicates the AOL mail servers are having problems and can't accept mail. This has nothing to do with spam, filtering or malicious email. This is simply their servers aren't functioning as well as they should be and so AOL can't accept all the mail thrown at them. These types of blocks resolve themselves. 1 Comment

• Fixing discussion lists to work with new Yahoo policy

Al has some really good advice on how to fix discussion lists to work with the new Yahoo policy. One thing I would add is the suggestion to actually check dmarc records before assuming policy. This will not only mean you're not having to rewrite things that don't need to be rewritten, but it will also mean you won't be caught flat footed if (when?) other free mail providers start publishing p=reject.No Comments