Sending mail to the wrong person, part eleventy

Another person has written another blog post talking about their experiences with an email address a lot of people add to mailing lists without actually owning the email address. In this case the address isn’t a person’s name, but is rather just what happens when you type across rows on they keyboard.

These are similar suggestions to those I (and others) have made in the past. It all boils down to allow people who never signed up for your list, even if someone gave you their email address, to tell you ‘This isn’t me.” A simple link in the mail, and a process to stop all mail to that address (and confirm it is true if someone tries to give it to you again), will stop a lot of unwanted and unasked for email.

1. Tom Chiverton says

LIkewise, I feel sorry for this guy :-)

2. Al Iverson says

Wow, that would make a hell of a spamtrap address.

Google is currently handling mail for I’m kinda wondering which blocklist that’s feeding.

I did meet the guy who owned I mentioned using it as a trap and he rolled his eyes at me and told me that he’d had to turn off the MX because the incoming traffic levels were so high. We talked about the volumes, and at that time it would have been fairly expensive to buy hardware to handle that volume of mail.

4. Dave Nelson says

Requiring a login to unsubscribe via the preferences portal is one of my great pet peeves. I’ve seen plenty of big companies do it and it just shows how short-sighted people can be when it comes to maintaining a healthy list.

It’s also a CAN SPAM violation these days.

5. Tom Chiverton says

You should ask the guy to donate an MX to Project Honey pot :-)

• Lost in the mists of time

Over on the Farsight Security blog Joe St. Sauver talks about some of the early days of online abuse, on usenet. Laura and I were on the periphery of early usenet abuse, mostly as users, but Usenet (and IRC) around then were the places we both started with email abuse.No Comments

• Ongoing Yahoo delays

I've been hearing from folks over the last few days that they're seeing an uptick in deferrals from Yahoo! The deferrals are not uniform. ESPs report they're seeing some, but not all, customers affected. Other ESPs aren't seeing any changes. It's not just you. But it would be very worthwhile to dig into engagement and other stats. It's possible this is a new normal at Yahoo! and they're tightening filters to catch mail that doesn't fit their standards but was previously difficult to filter.No Comments

• AOL starts using Sender Score Certification

Good news for Sender Score Certified IPs. Return Path recently announced that AOL has joined the list of ISPs offering preferential treatment to certified IPs.  1 Comment