Gmail pilots new FBL

Yes, it’s true. Gmail announced last Thursday at M3AAWG that they were piloting a new Feedback loop.

The Gmail FBL is currently for ESPs only. The announcement during MAAWG was that only MAAWG ESP members were eligible. They are requiring a DKIM signature for the FBL, but ESPs using individual customer d= values can get a FBL based on IPs. They are also not providing ANY information that reveals the complainer. Gmail’s intention is only to give ESPs feedback so that ESPs can prevent abuse. They are not giving feedback so complainers can be removed.

The email has a .csv attachment that has 3 columns: date, identifier and complaint rate.

The identifier is an ESP provided customer identifier. One of the ESPs I talked to said they were adding an X-header into their emails.

I’ve heard from beta testers that there is a minimum of 100 complaints before you’ll get any report.

Reports are sent daily if there is sufficient traffic to trigger them.

If you’re a MAAWG member, check the senders list for the signup URL.

1. Ram says

How does gmail verify the authenticity of the FBL request.
    The Form is a simple docs.google link and just accepts any value you key in

2. Facebook ends mail, Gmail flirts with FBLs - Hello Inbox : An Email Marketing Blog by Email Marketing Service Provider, EmailDirect. says

[…] Currently, Gmail FBLs are for ESPs only and they aren’t, unfortunately, providing any identifying information about the complainer. The information will be provided to ESPs as a means of preventing abuse but not for complaint removal. (Gmail pilots new FBL) […]

3. Best practices: A Gmail Perspective – Word to the Wise says

[…] I mentioned earlier, they did announce their new feedback loop program. They also announce the presence of an “unsubscribe” link in the email […]

4. Kumar Gaurav says

Where exactly we will find the signing URL for Gmail FBL

Gmail said that only M<3>AAWG members were eligible at this time, so I posted the URL on that mailing list.

5. Kumar Gaurav says

We are MAAWG members and which mailing list is being referenced here

“If you’re a MAAWG member, check the senders list for the signup URL.”

I posted the URL to the senders’ mailing list. The members section of the MAAWG website should also have slides up from Gmail’s talk at some point.

6. Peter Blair says

First off, this is the first google hit when I searched for “gmail fbl”, so kudos!

Secondly, it appears that it’s still only available for ESPs, so we ISPs are out of luck *burning envy*.

And for anyone who hasn’t read it, Paul’s writeup ( http://sendgrid.com/blog/gmails-spam-feedback-loop-sendgrids-experience/ ) on his experience with this FBL is quite encouraging.

Cheers.

7. Kumar Gaurav says

Hi

We are an ESP but got no response on the email id mentioned in the Gmail FBL, Can you please help on this.

Regards,
    Gaurav

Sorry, I can’t help with this. I do know that it’s taking weeks to get a reply from Gmail.

8. Pramod says

Is it still available for the MAAWG members or there is some other way to apply for it?

Comment:

• Blogging

It's been a wild week here in the US. I have to admit, the current political climate is affecting my ability to blog about email. I've always said email is not life or death. And how can I focus on the minutia of deliverability when things are in such turmoil and uncertainty? There are many things I want to write about, including some resources for those of us who are struggling with the current administration and changes in the US. What we can do. What we must do.  It just takes work and focus I don't have right now.    1 Comment

• Email trends for 2017

Freshmail has published a list of email marketing trends for 2017 from some of their favorite experts. I am honored to be included. Go check it out!No Comments

• AOL FBL change

Reminder for folks, AOL is changing their FBL from address starting on Jan 17th. AOLlogoForBlogThe (in)famous scomp@aol.net is going away to be replaced by fbl-no-reply @ postmaster.aol.com. These messages will be signed with the d= mx.postmaster.aol.com. Time to update your scripts!No Comments