BT Internet

I’ve been seeing reports for the last few weeks that a lot of folks are having problems getting mail into BT Internet. Many people are reporting the response

smtp;554 Message rejected for policy reasons (3.2.2.1) – Please report any problems to BT via the postmaster btinternet.com mailbox and include your sending ip address with an example header of your email

Unfortunately, the postmaster account appears to not be as responsive as it used to be. This may be a consequence of the move from Yahoo to Critical Path and then CP being bought by Openwave.
One thing people are suggesting is that valid and correct SPF records are crucial for delivery to BT Internet. I don’t know if this is really the fix, and  many of the companies reporting the problem have valid SPF records. But it’s always a good idea to check your SPF with our authentication checking tool.

1. Tom C says

Many BT customers are actually still using yahoo mail service!
    Have to agree that responses are lacking these days from the postmaster team – however when you do get a response you will be asked to send a sample message to the following address: investigation06@btinternet.com
    Openwave are/were using cyren as part of their mail filtering might be worth checking if your IP is being flagged by them while you await a response from the postmaster team.

2. William Astout says

Yes, it’s been the same for us, we’ve heard nothing from investigation06. They’re causing so much pain. The only place I got close to a resolution was on twitter, but even then I hit a dead-end.

3. Richard Bewley says

This has been very much our experience too. It is incredibly frustrating.
    With regard to CYREN – in all cases raised none of our concerned clients’ IP addresses have been listed.
    We have sent numerous examples to the requested channel and had no reply.
    The verbose SMTP response we are getting is:
    smtp;554 Message rejected for policy reasons (3.2.2.1) – Please report any problems to BT via the postmaster@btinternet.com mailbox and include your sending ip address with an example header of your email
    BT’s own forums are littered with examples such as:

4. Ciaran Cullen says

We have made a breakthrough with this finally. After making numerous phone calls I got through to the Security department at BT who gave me their direct email address. After sending a couple of example headers and improving our DKIM authentication we now have emails getting through to @btinternet.com email addresses again.

5. Peter Talbot says

I send out bulk email to members of a local political party and I’m trying my best to abide by the rules, but the DMARC reports I get from Yahoo always contain SPF failures citing Critical Path’s mail servers.
    It seems to me that people with btinternet email addresses are having their mail forwarded to Yahoo mailboxes, but haven’t been advised by BT or Yahoo that this arrangement no longer works.
    I have no intention of putting Critical Path’s mail server addresses in my SPF record. Any other suggestions gratefully received!

6. Philip says

Does anyone have a current contact for critical path / btinternet? postmaster btinternet.com is rejecting my email too. SPF and DKIM for my domain are correct and as far as I can tell, I’m not on any blacklists (I’m even on some whitelists!). I don’t send bulk email. I just have friends at btinternet.

7. Julia Wood says

My emails are not getting to my daughters in the UK. I am a 77 year old retired granny. I do not ‘bulk send’ but am, according to Bt’s returned email ‘blacklisted’ – why?! Any suggestions? Please help.
    J C Wood =- New Zealand.

8. Bob says

I have run into a dead end with BT. I don’t have a problem sending to any other address other than to btinternet.com. BT says it is definitely not an issue at their end. I have also changed my IP Address to no avail.
    I am trying, again, with a message to postmaster@btinternet.com (Phillip, note the @) which seems to have gone through. Yet even a blank message to another BT customer is being rejected.
    I have spent a great deal of time with my ISP and there is nothing they can find at my end. The message “Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Message rejected, policy (3.2.1.1) – Your message looks like SPAM or has been reported as SPAM please read http://www.bt.com/bulksender” says it all.

9. Philip says

Bob: postmaster@btinternet.com is quite responsive. They solved my deliverability issue in under two days earlier this month. You just need to get your email too them. Try sending it from another network.

10. Fred Lanting says

Ciaran Cullen says: “We have made a breakthrough …I got through to the Security department at BT who gave me their direct email address.”
    Ciaran: What is that address?
    Anyone else: If you can give me a method to get through on my netscape mail please tell me… Mr.GSD at Juno.com Thanks.

Comment: