AOL Changes

We’ve known for a while that AOL email infrastructure is going to be merging with Yahoo’s, but apparently it’s happening sooner than anyone expected.
The MXes for aol.com will be migrated to Yahoo infrastructure around February 1st. Reading between the lines I expect that this isn’t a flag day, and much of the rest of the AOL email infrastructure will be in use for a while yet, but primary delivery decisions will be made on Yahoo infrastructure.
The AOL and Yahoo postmaster teams are pretty smart so I assume they’ll have made sure that their reputation data is consistent, and be doing everything else they can do to make the migration as painless as possible. But it’s a major change affecting a lot of email, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see some bumpiness.
If you’ve done anything … unwise … with delivery to AOL addresses, such as hard-wiring MXes for delivery to aol.com, you should probably look at undoing that in the next week or so. I’m guessing the changeover will happen at the DNS level, so if you’ve nailed down delivery IPs for aol.com you might end up trying – and probably failing – to deliver to the old AOL infrastructure.

1. Thomas Benson says

Thanks for the update. Was this announced officially yet?

2. Hank McDouglas says

Was this announced on their postmaster site somewhere?

3. James says

Should we expect to see AOL delivery to look more like yahoo delivery after the change? Will the yahoo postmaster team be handling all sender support for AOL going forward?

4. Mark Antwel says

Is this reported on their blog?

5. steve says

I’ve not seen any public statement on this yet.
    As for what’s going to change going forward … I’m not ready to speculate publicly on that yet.
    This is mostly a heads-up to fix any AOL MX specific hacks you have, and to be aware that Things May Change next week.

6. Johan Weltson says

I am being told that the MXs will change but not to Yahoo MXs. Yes they will belong to Yahoo infrastructure but they will not accept yahoo@ email. There will be a segregation between aol@ and yahoo@ internally…
    Reputation from AOL is not being transferred over. For the last month they have been calculating reputations silently and that will override.

7. Steve Henderson says

It was posted here: http://postmaster-blog.aol.com/2018/01/29/aols-mx-record
    (and on the AOL postmaster RSS feed!)

8. Robert says

Hi guys,
    when will the complete “Oath” come to our use . Can anybody guess it. Please answer and I am so interesting to know it.
    whether this migration will make bulk mailing?

9. williams says

Hi guys, Anyone can tell when will the new oath come for mailing (aol+yahoo)?

10. Robert Franks says

i don’t want yahoo will i still be able to have google?
    is talk talk the same as aol,? do i need to change my provider?

11. Valencia Lolita Whitehead says

Is this why we can no longer sort by unread mail and other categories? They had an option for a unified mailbox but that is gone now as well.

12. Peter Rosen says

Re: May 23 Valencia Whitehead comment. I also can no loonger sort by unread in aol.mail. This schange took place aorund may 20, 2018. Are they correcting this? Essential e mail tool to catch up on past e mail you missed. Affertcs millions of users!

13. Sandy Waldinger says

I have had AOL forever however now that a change has been made and I can no longer sort by sender I am thinking about changing. Can anyone tell me if another mail option offers this option?

Comment: