It’s Thursday: AOL must be having problems

And, in fact, they are.

This time I’m seeing random reports of FBL failures. Some folks are seeing a significant (more than 50%) decrease in FBL emails. Other folks are reporting FBL reports that aren’t really FBL reports, but instead look like failed code output.

If you’re seeing this kind of problems it’s not just you.

As always, people at AOL are working to fix things and cooperating with people in the sending community who are having this problem. In other news, I found out last week that the one Really Smart Mail Guys I thought was still there is still at AOL but is no longer in their mail division. That means that the guys who built the AOL version of Skynet have left it to its own devices. Be afraid. Be Very Afraid.

1. Craig Hanselman says

We been seeing this issue for a week now .- Not receiving SCOMPS back via the Loop. We’ve even tested internal seeds on multiple servers and They’re not coming back to us via the FB Loop …

2. Byron Lunz says

I send some emails for a friend, where the From: is his address but the sending server is mine. Thus bounces should come to my server (the envelope from_ address), not to him, but today he received a bounce message from AOL.

3. David Romerstein says

Our FBL reports are down by an order of magnitude. It’s been this way since 17 October (coincidentally [or not]), the same day we started receiving DMARC aggregate reports from them.

4. Craig Hanselman says

^ Very interesting- DMARC reports from AOL .. That’s the 1st I’ve heard this..

I have heard that people not receiving DMARC reports are also seeing the problem. They may or may not be related, but I don’t think there’s any evidence either way at this point.

6. John Rowan says

We are still seeing a huge drop off in complaints from AOL’s FBL since 17 October. When contacted about our configuration, some of our IP ranges were set so that complaints were apparently going to a domain we have no connection with. Requesting that they update their records has produced no response.

7. Henry says

A few peopled forward me their DMARC reports from AOL to look at and the data in them seems to be very inconsistent and wrong, where from the same source IP it would pass DKIM and then Fail it in the next email. And the source IP is the owners mail server.

I think they have a few kinks to work out.

8. Keith Kouzmanoff says

We just started seeing AOL FBL’s on Nov. 6th

• Lost in the mists of time

Over on the Farsight Security blog Joe St. Sauver talks about some of the early days of online abuse, on usenet. Laura and I were on the periphery of early usenet abuse, mostly as users, but Usenet (and IRC) around then were the places we both started with email abuse.No Comments

• Ongoing Yahoo delays

I've been hearing from folks over the last few days that they're seeing an uptick in deferrals from Yahoo! The deferrals are not uniform. ESPs report they're seeing some, but not all, customers affected. Other ESPs aren't seeing any changes. It's not just you. But it would be very worthwhile to dig into engagement and other stats. It's possible this is a new normal at Yahoo! and they're tightening filters to catch mail that doesn't fit their standards but was previously difficult to filter.No Comments

• AOL starts using Sender Score Certification

Good news for Sender Score Certified IPs. Return Path recently announced that AOL has joined the list of ISPs offering preferential treatment to certified IPs.  1 Comment