It’s Thursday: AOL must be having problems

And, in fact, they are.

This time I’m seeing random reports of FBL failures. Some folks are seeing a significant (more than 50%) decrease in FBL emails. Other folks are reporting FBL reports that aren’t really FBL reports, but instead look like failed code output.

If you’re seeing this kind of problems it’s not just you.

As always, people at AOL are working to fix things and cooperating with people in the sending community who are having this problem. In other news, I found out last week that the one Really Smart Mail Guys I thought was still there is still at AOL but is no longer in their mail division. That means that the guys who built the AOL version of Skynet have left it to its own devices. Be afraid. Be Very Afraid.




  1. Craig Hanselman says

    We been seeing this issue for a week now .- Not receiving SCOMPS back via the Loop. We’ve even tested internal seeds on multiple servers and They’re not coming back to us via the FB Loop …

  2. Byron Lunz says

    I send some emails for a friend, where the From: is his address but the sending server is mine. Thus bounces should come to my server (the envelope from_ address), not to him, but today he received a bounce message from AOL.

  3. David Romerstein says

    Our FBL reports are down by an order of magnitude. It’s been this way since 17 October (coincidentally [or not]), the same day we started receiving DMARC aggregate reports from them.

  4. Craig Hanselman says

    ^ Very interesting- DMARC reports from AOL .. That’s the 1st I’ve heard this..

  5. laura says

    I have heard that people not receiving DMARC reports are also seeing the problem. They may or may not be related, but I don’t think there’s any evidence either way at this point.

  6. John Rowan says

    We are still seeing a huge drop off in complaints from AOL’s FBL since 17 October. When contacted about our configuration, some of our IP ranges were set so that complaints were apparently going to a domain we have no connection with. Requesting that they update their records has produced no response.

  7. Henry says

    A few peopled forward me their DMARC reports from AOL to look at and the data in them seems to be very inconsistent and wrong, where from the same source IP it would pass DKIM and then Fail it in the next email. And the source IP is the owners mail server.

    I think they have a few kinks to work out.

  8. Keith Kouzmanoff says

    We just started seeing AOL FBL’s on Nov. 6th


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • OTA joins the ISOC

    The Online Trust Alliance (OTA) announced today they were joining forces with the Internet Society (ISOC). Starting in May, they will operate as an initiative under the ISOC umbrella. “The Internet Society and OTA share the belief that trust is the key issue in defining the future value of the Internet,” said Internet Society President and CEO, Kathryn Brown. “Now is the right time for these two organizations to come together to help build user trust in the Internet. At a time when cyber-attacks and identity theft are on the rise, this partnership will help improve security and data privacy for users,” added Brown.No Comments

  • Friday blogging... or lack of it

    It seems the last few Friday's I've been lax on posting. Some of that is just by Friday I'm frantically trying to complete all my client deliverables before the weekend. The rest of it is by Friday I'm just tired. Today had the added complication of watching the Trumpcare debate and following how (and how soon) it would affect my company if it passed. That's been a bit distracting, along with the other stuff I posted about yesterday. I wish everyone a great weekend.1 Comment

  • Indictments in Yahoo data breach

    Today the US government unsealed an indictment against 2 Russian agents and 2 hackers for breaking into Yahoo's servers and stealing personal information. The information gathered during the hack was used to target government officials, security employees and private individuals. Email is so central to our online identity. Compromise an email account and you can get access to social media, and other accounts. Email is the key to the kingdom.No Comments