Goodmail alternatives

A number of Goodmail customers are scrambling to identify alternatives now that Goodmail is shutting down. There are two companies in the field offering similar services.

Return Path offers Return Path Certified. A number of large ISPs accept Return Path certification, including Yahoo, Hotmail and Comcast. IP addresses that are certified are not guaranteed to reach the inbox, but there are some delivery benefits to being certified. For instance, Hotmail lifts hourly delivery limits for certified IPs. Return Path closely monitors certified IPs and will remove certification from IP addresses that do not meet their standards. They are offering an expedited application process and managed transition to former Goodmail customers.

SuretyMail offers accreditation to senders. SpamAssassin does use SuretyMail as a factor in their scores. Mail from accredited IPs receives lower SpamAssassin scores. I don’t have much direct experience with SuretyMail, so I can’t talk too knowledgeably about their processes. A former customer has written, however, about their experience with SuretyMail. They are offering a half off application fee for former Goodmail customers.

The other option for senders is to find a good delivery consultant. As I said yesterday, a large number of senders are not certified or accredited and experience 95+% inbox delivery rates. Many of my customers, for instance, see 100% inbox without certification. There are certain market segments where certification makes a difference. But for senders who are sending mail that users actually want to receive and are engaged with, certification isn’t always necessary.

1. Fred Tabsharani says

Laura,

As an FYI, I’m pretty sure Surety Mail ceased operations sometime last year and there was an announcement on this. Feel free to correct me if I’m mistaken. 🙂

The closing last year which affected Surety Mail was the shutdown of Campaign monitor. Surety Mail was reselling Campaign monitor to its customers and had to stop offering that service. I have not heard anything about Surety Mail ceasing operations, and if you check the link in my post, they are offering a special for Goodmail customers.

2. Mihai Secasiu says

lol, if that’s the case why were they still charing me last month ? 🙂
    Also, why are they promoting their service to former goodmail customers?

3. Steve Henderson says

Have to agree with the points today and yesterday that certification is not always necessary: The things which are tested as part of a certification (infrastructure, data structure, email types and relevancy) are the same as the tests for reputation/deliverabilty.

Generally, if you pass the certification tests, you pass the inbox tests.

Certification can help some senders in some circumstances, just make sure you understand the problem before you go reaching for a solution.

4. John says

i think itracmedia.com uses return path, and they offer way more sophistication

5. Al Iverson says

Yeah, Surety Mail is still out there. When I asked about it on Twitter I got a couple of replies from folks who are still using it. We actually stopped using it ourselves; couldn’t find the value proposition.

6. John Levine says

Organizations that have transaction mail in a separate mail stream might also want to look at the Spamhaus whitelist which is in a no-charge sunrise. It just handles transactions and individual mail from staff.

See http://www.spamhauswhitelist.com/

7. J.D. Falk says

SpamAssassin checks Return Path Certified, too.

8. Mihai Secasiu says

@John Levine do you know anyone with a whitelist account willing to send me an invite? 🙂

9. Tanya Kuhn says

Can anyone suggest a good delivery consultant?

Thanks!

I do delivery consulting, Tanya. You can contact me by emailing laura at wordtothewise. Or you can use the contact link on the side of the page.

Comment:

• Friday blogging... or lack of it

It seems the last few Friday's I've been lax on posting. Some of that is just by Friday I'm frantically trying to complete all my client deliverables before the weekend. The rest of it is by Friday I'm just tired. Today had the added complication of watching the Trumpcare debate and following how (and how soon) it would affect my company if it passed. That's been a bit distracting, along with the other stuff I posted about yesterday. I wish everyone a great weekend.1 Comment

• Indictments in Yahoo data breach

Today the US government unsealed an indictment against 2 Russian agents and 2 hackers for breaking into Yahoo's servers and stealing personal information. The information gathered during the hack was used to target government officials, security employees and private individuals. Email is so central to our online identity. Compromise an email account and you can get access to social media, and other accounts. Email is the key to the kingdom.No Comments

• Blogging

It's been a wild week here in the US. I have to admit, the current political climate is affecting my ability to blog about email. I've always said email is not life or death. And how can I focus on the minutia of deliverability when things are in such turmoil and uncertainty? There are many things I want to write about, including some resources for those of us who are struggling with the current administration and changes in the US. What we can do. What we must do.  It just takes work and focus I don't have right now.    1 Comment